Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Camp: The place where I'm most myself.

I apologize for the lack of updates for anyone who is actually reading this.


Camp has gotten off to a great start. I seriously couldn't have asked for a better first term. The kids were amazing, and the people I work with are wonderful. As the title says, this place is a place where I feel like I'm most myself. There are many reasons for that. One is that I'm just in my element: A. I'm outside; B. I'm working with kids; and C. I have a camera around my neck at all times.
The support of the leadership team as a whole is great. Many of us have returned from last year, and I feel we've done a great job of welcoming in those who are new to leadership. "Can't tell anyone, don't tell anyone, won't tell anyone, I'm on the black team!" I love my leadership team. Being on leadership doesn't just mean doing your individual job such as taking pictures. There's so much more to it than that, and I love that about leadership. It's hard at times, but I love it. Already this summer I've lifted benches, moved tables, done trash run, answered phones, filed paperwork, planted plants, laid sod, rode a horse, lead a D-group, etc. We're hear to serve, and I hope I've been doing a good job of that. It can be easy to take advantage of the position. I have to remind myself daily why I'm here. First I'm here to glorify God, and second I'm here for the kids, not myself.
Another reason I feel most myself here is because I feel free to be me. I honestly feel that the majority of people here aren't fake, and I don't feel like people here are bad about judging others because we all have our own issues and we know it. Yeah sure sometimes we put on a happy front for the kids, but if you ask another staff member how they are doing, and you really mean it, they will tell you. And along the same line, if someone asks how I'm doing I feel like I don't have to just say "fine." For the most part I feel like people genuinely care here.
I've grown so much in my summers here. I've gained confidence, learned new skills, and stepped out of my comfort zone in many ways. I've learned to try new things, and do things that scare me. CBS is a places that stretches me. I go through a wide range of emotions, but through it all I learn to trust God more. It's so reassuring to know that God is sovereign. My photography skills, phone answering techniques, or ability to set things up, and run camp when I'm duty aren't going to keep a kid here or keep a kid away. It's not in my control at all, and I'm so thankful for that because I know I make my fair share of mistakes.
Anyway, camp is going great and if you want to see any pictures, I've posted a few from first term on facebook so check them out. Oh and please keep in me in your prayers because saturday I'm speaking in front of all of camp, and I'm a bit nervous. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment