Friday, February 3, 2012

Joy

25. A quarter of a century. That's how old I'll be in just a couple of hours (at least as I start this...by the time I finish I could be 25). Birthdays always cause me to be a bit reflective. I think this is a good thing. It's good to pause, look back at my life, and see where God has brought me. I'm incredibly grateful that God has me where I am right now, and for all he has taught me and continues to teach me.

Recently (well, back in October but it stuck with me), I saw a post on Katie's blog (met her this summer in Haiti) about things that make life fantastic. We complain fairly frequently, but how often do we count our blessings? What makes you smile just thinking about it? It can be little things. What makes your life fantastic?

Katie challenged us to list 10 things, big or small that bring joy to our lives and I want to issues the same challenge. So please comment, either on here or on facebook and share 10 things that make your life fantastic.

10 Things That Make My Life Fantastic (In no particular order):
1. Looking back at my life and seeing God at work. It's really cool to see how God has used events in my life in ways I never would have expected.
2. A good book. I admit, I love fiction and can get lost in a good book. Fiction is my escape when I need a break. I'm a re-reader.
3. Close relationships with my family. My mom is one of my best friends.
4. Friendships where time and distance don't matter.
5. Laughing so hard it hurts. Often at myself. (I'm clumsy and it's just funny sometimes. One time I tried to exit a revolving glass door too soon. I was laughing really hard at myself.)
6. Stars. A clear night, in the middle of nowhere/at camp (basically wherever it's really dark), where the stars seem to go on forever. I absolutely love stars. Meteor showers are amazing. I find astronomy fascinating and think constellations are pretty cool. I love camping out under the stars. It's great.
7. Local coffee shops. (I frequent Quills, Vint, and Heine Brother's here in Louisville. Back in MS I like Cups and Fusion.)
8. Spending time outdoors on a warm, sunny day. I love taking walks through Cherokee Park, especially in the Fall. I also love Spring in Mississippi. I practically live outside when it's warm.
9. Sojourn Community Church. I've only been a member for about 6 months or so and it has been a huge blessing to me. I'm getting to use my gifts in the church and it makes me incredibly happy. I love being a part of the servant photography team (alrush87 is me) and working with the kids. I also love the community of the church...my community group is great. :)
10. Sunsets/Sunrises. I've been privileged to see some amazing sunsets and sunrises in my life. I can't help but think, "Wow, God!" when I see an awesome sunset or sunrise. The best one was at camp during counselor reunion in January of '09.

Now it's your turn. What are 10 things that make your life fantastic? You don't have to be as detailed as I was, but please comment! I would love to share in your joy.
P.S. I had a hard time just listing 10 things. I need to remind myself more often of my blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Let me be the first to contribute:

    1. loyal friends who love well
    2. the man who loves deeply, leads earnestly, buys me flowers for no reason and puts me second only to God
    3. a big sister who leads by example
    4. the smell of old books
    5. sweet, sweet forgiveness
    6. a Savior who cannot be tamed
    7. scarves
    8. uncontrollable laughter
    9. chocolate
    10. sheer possibility

    Happy birthday, Allison! And thanks for the shout out. :) I hope you are well!

    <3Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I would definitely agree with several on your list...it was hard to stop at 10. I collect old books and love the smell of them, and my scarf collection is a bit out of control. ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. You've done a lot of growing in the (unfortunate) time our lives have taken different paths, but I love that I still get to keep up with it! You're a great friend and one I'll ALWAYS treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lolly! I've definitely grown a lot in the last couple years. I'm grateful for my time in seminary. Maybe we'll be able to see each other again soon. It really needs to happen. It's been waaaaaaaaaay too long. :( I miss you!

    ReplyDelete