Friday, January 20, 2012

Nepal Mission Trip Support Letter


Dear Friends and Family,
           
I hope this letter finds you doing well. I’ll be honest, it’s hard for me to write a letter that asks for money…I hope you don’t immediately stop reading when I say that. As many of you may know, I am currently in seminary studying missions. When I graduate I hope to either work for a church or overseas using my media skills to help make Christ known.

This fall I joined a local church here in Louisville that I have fallen in love with, Sojourn Community Church (east.sojournchurch.com), and I have a wonderful opportunity to go on a short-term mission trip to Nepal in June through Sojourn, but I cannot do this without your support.

I have told a few of you already about this opportunity and you have asked how you can help. First, please be praying for my team and me. Anytime God is at work there will be opposition. Fundraising is tough, travel can be a challenge, and conditions will not always be ideal, but I believe God is sovereign and will be with each of us on this trip. Not only would I love for you to pray for my team, but also for the long-term missionaries we will be working with and the people we will meet in Nepal.

It would also be a huge blessing if you could partner with me in this trip and make a financial donation. Unfortunately travel is not cheap, and this trip costs $2,900. Any donation, whether large or small will help. This can be broken up in a number of ways…100 people could give just $30 each (ok so 100 people may be a bit overly ideal)…but a more realistic breakdown could look as follows:
1 partner gives $800
2 partners give $300
5 partners give $100
10 partners give $50
10 partners give $30
20 partners give $15
I realize that $50+ can seem like a lot to ask for, but putting it into perspective, a grocery bill in a week can be that much. I’m not trying to play the guilt trip card; I’m just a visual person so putting it in perspective helps me.
           
If you would like to partner with me in this trip by making a tax-deductible donation my church has made it super easy. Just copy and paste the following link into your web browser (or type it in if you are reading a hard copy of this letter), choose 750 Nepal from the drop down menu (scroll almost to the bottom), and fill out the form. https://sojournforms.wufoo.com/forms/short-term-missions-giving/
           
If you prefer to mail a check, it should be made out to Sojourn Community Church and my giving number must be put in the memo line so the church knows whose trip the donation goes toward. My giving number is 750 Nepal. Checks can be mailed to the following address:

Sojourn Community Church
PO Box 406738
Louisville, KY 40204

Gifts to the church, with an expression of a preference for my trip expenses, are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. If you are able to make a gift to the church, helping to fund my portion of the trip expenses, please give online or make your check payable to Sojourn Community Church. If I am unable to participate in the trip, your gifts will be used to support the short-term mission program of Sojourn.

For those interested in the trip description here is what we have been told: Nepal is a land known for the Himalayas and for conflict. It has long been cut off from the world and isolated from Gospel witness. All that is changing and you can be a part of seeing the gospel take root. We will travel to Kathmandu where we will connect with our partners and break up into teams that will do different ministries which included: theological education in local Bible colleges, sharing the gospel through stories in the mountains and area villages, and we will also be doing ministry among an unreached and resistant people group who live in Kathmandu. This will not be an easy trip but one that we hope will have eternal results.            

Thank you for your help. I realize that many of you may not be able to go on a mission trip yourself, but missions consists of three types of people, those who can go, those who can send through giving, and those who pray. All three are vitally important, and this trip would not be possible without each type of person. If you would like to know more about my trip, or just want to catch up, please contact me! I promise I will respond asap!

In Christ,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. Keep a focus on missions - love it!

    I came to your blog from Jon Acuff’s site. He has created a tremendous forum for sharing our blogs and impacting more people with them.

    I hope my blog can be an encouragement to you also.

    I write it for encouragement and motivation daily.

    http://i-never-fail.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to watching the connections grow!

    ReplyDelete